As partners in the MFA in Playwriting, the Playwriting program and the School of Theatre (SOT) at Boston University want to ensure that our playwriting graduates are equipped for both the academic and professional worlds of the theatre. To that end, the MFA in Playwriting combines a strong commitment to literary scholarship with invaluable, hands-on collaborations with other theatre artists.
Our shared goal, while building on the strong foundation of our award-winning successes, integrates faculty expertise in our renowned Department of English (in GRS) with complementary SOT strengths (in CFA) in acting, directing, design, production, and theatre management. Intensive writing workshops incorporating professional actors and directors are coupled with classes immersing each student in dramatic literature, theatre history, and practice. During our professional season of new works, each student’s personal involvement in the theatrical productions is required. Teaching fellowships in the English department are offered along with competitive financial aid and potential teaching assistantships in the SOT.
- Drama in Theory and Practice: Social and Political Theatre
- Drama in Theory and Practice: Structure and Script
- Drama in Theory and Practice: Solo Performance
- Playwriting 2: Writing of Short Plays
- Playwriting 1: Analysis to Inspiration
- Seminar: Writing of Plays
- Design Master Class for Graduate Students
- Directed Study (Introduction to Directing)
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 290 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
- Completed application for graduate admission to the College of Fine Arts.
- Non-refundable application fee of $95.
- Upload transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to your application. Please do not send transcripts to us.
- CV/Résumé. A curriculum vitae (cv) or resume containing your theatrical experience.
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation from theatre professionals. These may be submitted online using the supplied Letter of Recommendation Form.
- Personal Statement: the applicant should provide a detailed outline of their experience, what they wish to accomplish at Boston University, and their career ambitions.
- All international students must submit an application and required accompanying documents
International54720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54720 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
National54720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54720 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.