There are two principal focuses in the Japanese program of the University of Massachusetts Amherst. One is the study of Japanese literature, culture, linguistics, and/or pedagogy. The second is the acquisition of practical language skills to enhance future work in such fields as translation, interpretation, teaching, journalism, business or government. Our M.A. students have gone on to work in embassies, as high school teachers and college professors, as professional translators and interpreters, and in a number of other careers.
Japanese MA Degree Requirements
Students are required to complete at least thirty credits of course work plus a master’s thesis (six credits). Up to six credits of appropriate course work at the graduate level from other institutions may be accepted with the approval of the graduate committee. It is expected that most suitably prepared students will be able to finish all requirements for the degree within two academic years.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Modern Japanese
- Classical Japanese
- Problems and Methods in Translation
- Media Japanese
- Classical Japanese
- Japanese Women’s Literature
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Linguistics View 693 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Students entering the Master's Degree program in Japanese Language and Literature must have finished the equivalent of four years of college-level Japanese language courses. This can be accomplished by taking courses as an undergraduate; studying, living, and working in Japan; or completing the N2 level of the Japanese Language Placement Exam.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for all applicants, including foreign applicants.
- The Graduate School requires all applicants whose native language is not English to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- We also look at the applicants' background in college coursework and potential in graduate studies.
- Sending a writing sample separately from the application is not required.
International20080 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10040 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National20080 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10040 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State9342 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4671 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.