About Spanish Creative Writing at The University of Iowa
The department provides a wide selection of courses taught in Spanish and Portuguese, languages that are spoken in many cultures around the world and are important in the study of linguistics, health care, culture, literature, art, film, and many other areas. Spanish and Portuguese language courses are open to any student who has satisfied the course prerequisites.
In addition to language courses, the department offers general interest courses on literature, film, and culture that are taught in English. It also participates in several study abroad programs.
Students will be able to demonstrate:
- skills and knowledge of Spanish creative writing practice,
- broad knowledge of the professional field of Spanish creative writing,
- understanding Spanish creative writing as a critical and reflective practice in the context of the history and critical discourse on literature written in Spanish,
- ability to independently complete a publishing-quality creative project in Spanish, and
- knowledge and skills necessary to be effective instructors for 1000-level courses.
- Elementary Spanish Review
- Intermediate Spanish
- Accelerated Intermediate Spanish for Heritage Speakers
- Hispanic Cultural Activities Attendance
- Contemporary Spanish American Narrative
- Spanish Language Skills: Writing
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Linguistics View 867 other Masters in Languages in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- English Proficiency Requirements
- Application for Graduate Awards
- A one- or two-page statement of purpose
- A sample of creative work in Spanish, at least 30 (but no more than 50) pages of fiction or 20 pages of poetry that demonstrate excellent creative potential.
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
International29739 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29739 USD per year during 12 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.