The Department of Spanish and Portuguese offers undergraduate majors and minors, graduate degree programs, and course work for students in other disciplines.
The department provides a wide selection of courses taught in Spanish and Portuguese, languages that are spoken in many cultures around the world and are important in the study of linguistics, health care, culture, literature, art, film, and many other areas.
Spanish and Portuguese language courses are open to any student who has satisfied the course prerequisites.
The master degree in Spanish Creative Writing is offered by The University of Iowa. In addition to language courses, the department offers general interest courses on literature, film, and culture that are taught in English. It also participates in several study abroad programs.
- The Language Media Center (LMC) is an essential resource unit for faculty and students in the Division of World Languages, Literatures and Cultures.
- The LMC provides a wide variety of facilities and services for traditional language laboratory work as well as for foreign language digital media production and computer-based activities.
- The LMC facilities include a 50-computer information technology center (ITC), two digital audio laboratories, a multimedia development studio, four One Button Studios for video production, 13 media viewing stations, and six small-group collaboration spaces.
- The LMC also circulates a collection of over 3,000 foreign language, American Sign Language, and English as a Second Language digital media materials.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Elementary Spanish Review
- Intermediate Spanish
- Accelerated Intermediate Spanish for Heritage Speakers
- Hispanic Cultural Activities Attendance
- Contemporary Spanish American Narrative
- Spanish Language Skills: Writing
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Linguistics View 715 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- Application for Graduate Awards
- A one- or two-page statement of purpose
- A sample of creative work in Spanish, at least 30 (but no more than 50) pages of fiction or 20 pages of poetry that demonstrate excellent creative potential
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International31232 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 31232 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National31232 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 31232 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State9266 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9266 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.