About Physics at The University of Iowa
The Department of Physics and Astronomy provides comprehensive and rigorous instruction in all basic aspects of its subjects. It also provides research facilities and guidance in selected specialties for advanced individual scholarly work.
In addition to its undergraduate and graduate programs of study, the department offers several courses that undergraduate students in all majors may use to satisfy the GE CLAS Core Natural Sciences requirement. Look for courses with prefixes ASTR and PHYS under "Natural Sciences" in the GE CLAS Core section of the Catalog. The department often offers First-Year Seminars designed for entering undergraduates.
- Graduates have opportunities for employment in universities, colleges, and research laboratories in government and industry.
- Physics graduates have mastered skills that are readily transferable to a number of fields. They might choose to work in engineering, software development, finance, or consulting.
- The Pomerantz Career Center offers multiple resources to help students find internships and jobs.
- Physics of Everyday Experience
- From Quarks to Quasars
- Introductory Physics
- Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
- Electricity and Magnetism
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Mathematics Applied Mathematics View 918 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- English Proficiency Requirements
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation
- Application for Graduate Awards
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International29739 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29739 USD per year during 12 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.