The interdisciplinary Design program of the University of Massachusetts Amherst introduces students to knowledge in a specialized area as well as to modes of research/practice in architecture, design, and related disciplines. It also provides mid-career professionals, as well as graduates with degrees in fields related to architecture (such as history or engineering) the opportunity to pursue advanced architectural design and scholarship.
The degree is a 36-credit-hour (minimum) intensive course of study, developed in consultation with the Graduate Program Director for Master of Design students and faculty in the student's area of interest. The program requires each student to develop a research focus that draws from disciplines and departments across the university and the Five Colleges, working in concert with the Program Director, the Graduate Program Director and/or a faculty member who is the student’s designated advisor. The program, designed as a terminal degree, should take a full-time student four semesters. Some exceptionally well-prepared students may be able to transfer in up to six credits of previous course work, and finish the program in three semesters. Funding opportunities are limited, and most students should be financially able to complete the program without relying on assistantships.
For the Master of Design degree, students must complete a minimum of 36 credit hours. All students must complete coursework in history, technology, practice or research methods, studios, and electives related to the concentration. All course selections are made on the basis of area specialization and in consultation with the student’s adviser.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- All students must complete coursework in history, technology, practice or research methods, studios, and electives related to the concentration. All course selections are made on the basis of area specialization and in consultation with the student’s adviser.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- GRE Scores
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement, no more than 3 pages. We encourage applicants to ask themselves “Why a Master of Architecture Degree?" "Why now?” “Why UMass?” and “What will I contribute?”
- Portfolio and/or documentation of previous creative work and/or research. A portfolio of creative work should include no more than twenty pages of art, architecture, and/or design work.
- TOEFL is required of foreign student applicants
International20080 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10040 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National20080 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10040 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
In-State9342 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4671 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.