About Philosophy at The University of Iowa
The Department of Philosophy offers programs of study for undergraduate and graduate students. A major in philosophy develops abilities useful for work in many fields and for any situation requiring clear, systematic thinking.
The department also administers the interdisciplinary undergraduate major in ethics and public policy, which it offers jointly with the Departments of Economics and Sociology; see Ethics and Public Policy in the Catalog.
- Principles of Reasoning: Argument and Debate
- Matters of Life and Death
- Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
- The Meaning of Life
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Philosophy Club
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Spring deadline for combined MA program only
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Religious Studies & Theology General Studies & Classics View 171 other Masters in General Studies & Classics in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- English Proficiency Requirements
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- A sample of your philosophical writing
- A statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 12 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.