The Department of Philosophy offers programs of study for undergraduate and graduate students. A major in philosophy develops abilities useful for work in many fields and for any situation requiring clear, systematic thinking.
The department also administers the interdisciplinary undergraduate major in ethics and public policy, which it offers jointly with the Departments of Economics and Sociology; see Ethics and Public Policy in the Catalog.
The Master of Arts program in Philosophy, offered by The University of Iowa, requires a minimum of 30 s.h. of graduate credit and is offered without thesis. The M.A. is not offered as a terminal degree; it is awarded to students as they work successfully toward the Ph.D.
Requirements include courses in metaphysics, epistemology, history of philosophy, ethics, logic, philosophy of science, and value theory. There is no world language requirement. Students must take an oral final examination. See Courses in this section of the Catalog for a complete listing of philosophy courses.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Principles of Reasoning: Argument and Debate
- Matters of Life and Death
- Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
- The Meaning of Life
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Philosophy Club
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 180 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- A sample of your philosophical writing
- A statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International29026 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29026 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 30612 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State11665 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11665 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.