For the past 75 years, the University of Iowa has been a national leader in all areas of creative writing. The University offers graduate degrees in creative writing, with specializations in fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. The master program degree in Creative Writing is offered by the University of Iowa.
Undergraduate students may declare a major in English and creative writing or in English with a writing specialization. All qualified undergraduates in other majors may enroll in many of the creative writing courses offered by the Department of English.
- The University of Iowa Libraries collection is strong in all areas of English and American literature.
- Partly because of the influence of the Iowa Writers' Workshop, University Libraries has particular strengths in 20th-century fiction and poetry, including manuscript collections of 20th-century authors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- City of Literature
- Flashwrite: Young Writers, No Borders
- The Interpretation of Literature
- Heroes and Villains
- The Art of Storytelling
- American Lives
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 262 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- Mail manuscript of your best work, with a Manuscript Cover Sheet (PDF)
- A Statement of Purpose
- Application for Graduate Awards
- Your General GRE test scores (optional but recommended)
- Supplemental Financial Aid
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- Your official GRE scores are not required for admission to this program
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International29026 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29026 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 30612 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State11665 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11665 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.