About Creative Writing at The University of Iowa
Founded in 1936, it was the first creative writing program in the United States to offer a degree, and it became a model for many contemporary writing programs. In addition to its Master of Fine Arts program, it also offers writing courses for undergraduates.
The Iowa Writers' Workshop has been home to thousands of remarkable writers, including Flannery O'Connor, Raymond Carver, Rita Dove, John Irving, James Alan McPherson, Philip Levine, Jane Smiley, Michael Cunningham, Sandra Cisneros, Denis Johnson, Jorie Graham, Ann Patchett, D.A. Powell, Nathan Englander, Yiyun Li, Eleanor Catton, Angela Flournoy, Garth Greenwell, Yaa Gyasi, and Jamel Brinkley. The program's faculty and alumni include winners of virtually every major literary award, including seventeen winners of the Pulitzer Prize (most recently Paul Harding in 2010), six recent U.S. Poets Laureate, and numerous winners of the National Book Award, MacArthur Foundation Fellowships, and other major honors. In 2003, the Iowa Writers' Workshop received a National Humanities Medal from the National Endowment for the Humanities—the first awarded to a university and only the second given to an institution rather than an individual.
- Creative Writing Studio Workshop
- Creative Writing
- Fiction Writing
- Poetry Writing
- Writing and Reading Young Adult Fiction
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 787 other Masters in Literature in United States
- A bachelor’s degree from a Regionally Accredited American College or University, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- Meet English Proficiency Requirements
- General application to the University of Iowa Graduate College
- Statement of purpose
- Graduate Funding Application
- Department Funding Application
- Letters of Recommendation
- Unofficial official copy of transcripts from universities and colleges that document all undergraduate and graduate work
- Due to COVID19, a backup copy of your manuscript uploaded to MyUI
International29739 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29739 USD per year during 24 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.