A major program focus includes preparation for those working, or intending to work, in programs for tertiary students and adults studying Modern Languages such as Spanish, French, Italian, German, English, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Farsi, and Arabic. Areas of particular faculty expertise include cognitive processes in SLA; language teaching methodology and pedagogy; psycholinguistics; language processing; individual differences in such factors as age, aptitude, and working memory; second language analysis; interlanguage studies; heritage learners; needs analysis; syllabus design; materials writing; learner training; language assessment; program evaluation; second language research methods; task-based language teaching; and uses of technology in language learning and testing.
The M.A. in Second Language Acquisition program from University of Maryland is a 30-credit program, with two tracks: Plan A, by coursework and thesis, and Plan B, by coursework only. These two tracks are meant to accommodate two slightly different populations, those planning to immediately apply to the Ph.D. program at Maryland or elsewhere (Plan A), and those for whom the M.A. will be an interim degree (plan B).
More informationVisit official programme website
- Research And Theories Of SLA
- Fundamentals Of Language Acquisition And Instruction
- Second Language Analysis
- Research Issues In Second Language Learning
- Cognitive Processes In Second Language Learning
- Second Language Processing
- Interlanguage Studies
- Age Effects/Maturation Constraints
- Special Topics In Second Language Learning
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 911 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- An application form
- A non-refundable $75 application fee.
- College/university transcripts from all institutions previously or currently attended.
- A Maryland In-State Status form, if you wish to apply for Maryland residency status.
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- Verbal and quantitative GRE scores
- A TOEFL score of 600 or higher on the paper-based version
International39000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19500 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National39000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19500 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State17544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8772 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.