The School of Music offers programs of study leading to the Master of Arts degree at University of Maryland with areas of specialization in ethnomusicology, music history and literature (musicology), music education, and music theory.
The Master of Music degree with areas in performance, composition, conducting, and music education; the Doctor of Philosophy degree with areas of specialization in ethnomusicology, musicology, music education, and music theory; and the Doctor of Musical Arts degree with areas of specialization in composition, performance, and conducting.
Facilities and Special Resources
With approximately 300 public performances each year—including student recitals and more than thirty ensembles—School of Music students have robust performance opportunities The School of Music also hosts numerous guest clinicians each year and presents the Renegade Series, which brings to campus some of the most visionary artists in our field. As one of the nation’s leading public research universities, the University of Maryland provides a wealth of opportunities to learn from and collaborate with scholars in a variety of disciplines.
- Research Methods, Bibliography, and Guided Writings
- Analysis of World Music
- Documents of Theory and Aesthetics: Ancient, Medieval and Renaissance
- The Anthropology of Music
- Early Music Notation
- Theory of Jazz
- Orchestral Excerpts for String Players
- Masterworks of the 20th Century: 1900-1950
- Advanced Orchestration
- Advanced Conducting
- Advanced Aural Skills for Conductors
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Musicology View 1117 other Masters in Music in United States
- Statement of Purpose and Letters of Recommendation: The statement of purpose and three letters of recommendation will be required to be uploaded in the Supplementary Application (Acceptd), not the Graduate School’s application.
- TOEFL/IELTS/PTE (international graduate students)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Supplementary Application
International25590 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1706 USD per credit during 24 months.
National25590 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1706 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State11520 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 768 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for College Park
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.