At the masters level, the purpose of our program is to prepare teachers to provide exemplary, evidence-based services for individuals with disabilities. This Education (Special Education) program at the University of Georgia includes a thesis.
You may choose to specialize in one of three areas:
An emphasis in general curriculum is for those interested in working with students with mild disabilities who are primarily following the general curriculum. The special education students who are most frequently served in these settings include those with behavior disorders, learning disabilities, mild intellectual disabilities, other health impaired, and some students with autism or Asperger's.
This emphasis is for students interested in working with those who have moderate to severe autism and developmental disabilities. Training in this emphasis prepares you to work in an adapted curriculum, which means it does not follow the typical general curriculum used in most classrooms.
Birth Through Kindergarten
The birth through kindergarten/preschool emphasis prepares professionals to work with children birth through age 5 both with and without disabilities. Training in this program prepares you for inclusive early learning, preschool, pre-k and kindergarten programs, along with early intervention (0-3) and preschool intervention (3-5) programs.
- An emphasis in general curriculum is for those interested in teaching students with mild disabilities who are primarily following the general curriculum. Training in this emphasis area prepares teachers to work in collaboration, inclusion, or resource models.
- The special education students who are most frequently served in these settings include those with behavior disorders, learning disabilities, mild intellectual disabilities, other health impaired, and some students with autism.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Special Education View 3576 other Masters in Education in United States
Students who meet all of the following requirements are eligible to apply:
- Professional preparation: Earned, or will have earned, a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution before the date of enrollment at the University of Georgia.
- GRE or Miller Analogies Test scores
- GPA: Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 for all courses taken.
In the Graduate School application, students should upload the following items:
- Statement of purpose
Applicants will be admitted based on the faculty's evaluation of undergraduate GPA, GRE/MAT (and TOEFL where relevant) scores, quality of essay, letters of recommendations, and résumé.
International24676 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24676 USD per year during 24 months.
National24676 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24676 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State8698 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8698 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Athens
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.