Our students in the Human-Computer Interaction program from University of Maryland develop a fundamental understanding of the technology design process, tool-building technologies, evaluation techniques, application areas for users, and the social impact of technology on the individual and community. The program prepares students to become human-computer interaction (HCI) leaders in industry and government, or to become successful in doctoral work in a particular specialization of HCI.
Our 30-credit program is typically completed in two years by full-time students, while offering flexibility to accommodate part-time and professional students. Our core curriculum grounds students in the fundamentals of HCI perspectives and methodologies, while electives offer in-depth insight into specialized areas of the field. A required internship experience provides a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in industry or research environments, and the choice of an individual thesis or a client-based team capstone project allows students to demonstrate the skills they’ve acquired in the form best suited to their career goals.
Facilities and Special Resources
The College operates six research centers: the Human-Computer Interaction Lab (HCIL), the Information Policy and Access Center (iPAC), and the Center for Advanced Study of Communities and Information (CASCI), the Cloud Computing Center (CCC), the Trace Center, and the Digital Curation Innovation Center (DCIC).
More informationVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Programming for Information Professionals
- Fundamentals of Human-Computer Interaction
- Human-Computer Interaction Design Methods
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Internship in Human-Computer Interaction
- Thesis or capstone project
- Information Policy
- Information Ethics
- Users and Use Context
- Information and Universal Usability
- Information Environments
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Human Computer Interaction View 34 other Masters in Human Computer Interaction in United States
- Statement of Purpose
- Transcript(s): Uploading unofficial transcripts is sufficient for the purposes of the application review process. However, if you are offered admission and choose to enroll in the University of Maryland, you will need to provide an official and unopened transcript.
- TOEFL/IELTS/PTE (international graduate students)
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Supplementary Application
International39000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19500 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National39000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19500 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State17544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8772 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.