The teaching and research interests of the majority of the department's faculty fit into two broad areas:
- Urban Society and Social Policy
- Religion, Knowledge, and Culture
These are areas where the department has developed exceptional strengths and where we can offer students a program of uncommon depth. But these certainly do not delimit the range of research and teaching interests of the faculty. Our faculty and students also have interests and expertise in the sociology of gender, social movements, the sociology of science, medical sociology, public and applied sociology and the sociology of culture.
Loyola University Chicago's Sociology graduate program is distinctive in two major ways:
- An extensive commitment to value-oriented research. Students in the department are exposed to faculty who are committed to making their research accessible to the wider community. This has been most fully institutionalized in the Department's leadership role in the Center for Urban Research and Learning (CURL) through which community organization leaders and academics collaborate as equal partners in research projects. Variously called "public sociology”, “value-oriented," "action" or "participatory," this style of research plays an important role in the Sociology program.
- A genuine commitment to methodological pluralism and classroom skills. All students receive an extensive training in qualitative and quantitative methodologies. Field studies, in-depth interviewing, participant observation, archival research, as well as surveys and sophisticated quantitative data analysis are equally stressed and represented in the department's research and teaching agenda
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- History of Sociological Thought
- The Logic of Sociological Inquiry
- Qualitative Methods
- Statistical Methods
- Modern Sociological Theory
- Qualitative Methods in Social Research.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesSociology View 347 other Masters in Sociology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Completed Application Form
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of PurposeTest Scores (GMAT or GRE)
- Professional Resume
- Language Test Requirement
- Transcript Evaluation
International1033 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1033 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National1033 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1033 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.