About Anthropology at The University of Iowa
Students are required to do original field, archival, or laboratory research. The department also offers an independent M.A. with a focus in Cultural Resource Management- Archaeology (CRM), which provides academic preparation for a professional career in CRM-Archaeology.
Students are expected to demonstrate:
- Disciplinary expertise. Graduate students should develop an in-depth understanding of the differences and similarities of people across place and time based on anthropological evidence and theory;
- Skills for independent research. Graduate students will acquire professional and ethical research, reasoning, and methodological skills to identify important research problems and to subsequently design, execute, productively engage with feedback, and report (via writing and presentations) results of independent research programs to a diverse audience;
- Teaching Contributions. Graduate students will effectively and ethically communicate anthropological concepts and theories to a broad audience;
Graduates establish careers at universities, colleges, museums, health care institutions, and a diverse range of governmental and nongovernmental agencies.
- Sociocultural Anthropology
- Archaeological Theory and Method
- Biological Anthropology
- Linguistic Anthropology
- Graduate Teaching Pro-Seminar
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 30-36 credits
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Anthropology View 701 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
Candidates for admission to the graduate program are required to submit the following documentation:
- a completed university application form
- transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate work
- three letters of recommendation from individuals competent to judge the candidate’s potential for graduate training
- at least one example of your previous work (e.g., a term paper or an original experiment)
- a statement of interest describing why you would like to undertake graduate study in our program
- verify English proficiency by submitting official test scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
International31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 24 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.