The graduate program’s signature style of pursuing these strengths involves engagement with and reflection on the history of philosophy. It also integrates our strengths with the study of ethics richly informed by a historical approach. The Philosophy program is offered at Pennsylvania State University.
We understand Continental philosophy, feminist philosophy, and critical philosophy of race necessarily draw from multiple traditions, including analytic and American as well as Continental philosophy. Likewise, the field of ethics draws on multiple traditions, and the history of philosophy can be and is pursued by means of different problematics and diverse philosophical traditions. Graduate students are trained in multiple traditions, helping produce a new generation of diverse students who are philosophically “multilingual.”
Interdisciplinary study is also possible across the humanities, the social sciences, the arts, the natural sciences, and interdisciplinary programs such as Women's Studies and African American Studies. Doctoral minors are available in social thought and in literary theory, criticism, and aesthetics. Study abroad is possible as well, through exchange programs or individual arrangements with leading departments of philosophy.
More informationVisit official programme website
- American Philosophy
- Environmental Ethics
- Philosophy of Law
- Business Ethics
- Social and Political Philosophy
- Philosophy of Science
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 181 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
- Scores from the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE), or from a comparable substitute examination accepted by a graduate program and authorized by the dean of the Graduate School, are required for admission.
- Students with a 3.00 junior/senior grade-point average (on a 4.00 scale) and with appropriate course backgrounds will be considered for admission.
- The best-qualified applicants will be accepted up to the number of spaces that are available for new students. Exceptions to the minimum 3.00 GPA may be made for students with special backgrounds, abilities, and interests.
International37694 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 37694 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National37694 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 37694 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State21960 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21960 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.