The purpose of the Music program of the University of Colorado at Boulder is to refine skills in music performance, music composition, research and writing, and pedagogy. There are numerous fields of study within the Master of Music program as listed below. The musicology program admits students only at the PhD level.
The Master of Music degree provides advanced studies in performance, performance/pedagogy, composition (with an optional emphasis in technology), music theory, and conducting (choral, orchestral and wind). Areas of emphasis in performance and performance/pedagogy include all band and orchestral instruments, guitar, harp, harpsichord, jazz, piano and voice. Each of the MM degrees incorporates studies in the major area, support courses in music electives and thesis/recital work. The minimum credit hours required for a MM degree varies from 30 to 32 depending on the area of study.
Brass, conducting, percussion, string, voice and woodwind majors are required to participate in a music ensemble. A student's ensemble placement will be determined by an audition during the first week of classes.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Music Bibliography and Research
- Musicology or Ethnomusicology
- Topics in Music Analysis
- Post-tonal Theory and Analysis
- Symposium in Choral Music
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic View 948 other Masters in Music in United States
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, or have done work equivalent to that required for such a degree
- Show promise of ability to pursue advanced study and research, as judged by the student’s scholastic record
- Have adequate preparation to enter graduate study in the chosen field. Have at least a 2.75 (2.00=C) undergraduate grade point average
- Personal Statement
- For review and decision purposes you are required to upload an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) in the application
- Official Test Scores on TOEFL or IELTS
- Four Letters of Recommendation
- Writing Sample
- Nonrefundable $80 Application Fee
- Digital portfolio
- Once you’ve submitted all the above materials, you will be contacted by Graduate Academic Services after your pre-screening (if applicable) has been reviewed
International34574 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34574 USD per year during 12 months.
National34574 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34574 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State14708 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14708 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Boulder
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.