It is also meant to empower students with an advanced understanding and study of diversity, which will enable them to pursue both higher academic and other professional endeavors. While our focus is on African American experiences and the cultural and intellectual products of those experiences, our program approaches that focus in the context of global processes and in terms of its relationship to other groups such as Latinos, Asians, European Americans, Africans, and Native Americans.
Candidates for the Master of Arts in African American Studies at Boston University must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Because of the broad focus of this program, there are no specific undergraduate concentration requirements except that the student must have completed some study in both the humanities and the social sciences.
Students graduating with an MA in African American Studies are expected to:
- Demonstrate mastery of conceptual, theoretical, and research skills that can enable them to become lifelong critical investigators of cross-cultural interactions.
- Become leaders in all professional and cultural engagements with diversity, tolerance, and critical thinking.
- Demonstrate an understanding of African American studies within a global context, paying particular attention to peoples of African descent in the Americas, Africa, Europe, and Asia.
More informationVisit official programme website
- African American History
- History of Racial Thought or
- Seminar: Ethnic, Race, and Minority Relations
- Six additional courses in African American Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies View 402 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Three recommendations
- Official GRE General Test score report
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal statement/statement of purpose
- Writing Sample
International54720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54720 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National54720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54720 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.