The Human Sexuality Studies program of San Francisco State University is designed to meet the following career needs:
- Preparation for Ph.D. studies and professional schools in the field of psychology, sociology, anthropology, history, medicine, social work, or communication.
- Work in public health settings, such as those related to AIDS education, AIDS/HIV treatment, and care centers; e.g., the Center for AIDS Prevention Studies at the University of California at San Francisco and welfare centers throughout the Bay Area.
- Reproductive health education, research, training, and prevention facilities and organizations; i.e., Planned Parenthood.
- Sexuality education for students at the regional community colleges and at the local school boards that offer or plan to offer courses and curricula on sexuality, including counseling in the secondary schools.
- Preparation for work in policy or research public policy institutes located at Stanford University and the University of California at Berkeley.
- Service provision and training for service providers in hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, and others that require sensitivity training related to sexuality across the life course and sexual orientation issues.
- Human resource departments of businesses and corporations, responsible for the provision of sexuality and sexual orientation anti-discrimination and partner benefits areas for employees.
- Research, policy, and education providers who are needed to fill gay and lesbian agencies and community centers in the Bay Area and elsewhere.
The career outlook for graduates with specialized knowledge of human sexuality has never been better in our society, due to the changing positive attitudes regarding the role of sexuality in the universities and colleges, high schools, local and national government, research and training, clinical and mental health training, and private sector positions that call for expertise of human reproduction, sexuality, sexual identity and diversity, sexual orientation, gender, and human resources.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Sexual Cultures, Sexual Identities
- Sexuality in Historical Perspective
- Sociocultural Foundations in Human Sexuality
- Biological and Psychological Foundations of Human Sexuality
- Professional Development
- Research Methods in Human Sexuality Studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies View 72 other Masters in Gender & Sexuality Studies in United States
- A program application with a statement of purpose outlining experience, career objectives, and rationale for studying human sexuality studies at the graduate level
- Two letters of recommendation
- Unofficial transcripts of all college coursework, indicating a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) with a minimum score of 4.0 for the analytical writing portion of the GRE
- English language proficiency
- SF State application
International8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.