Key learning outcomes at History programme offered by Harvard University.
Through the degree in the field of history you gain:
- Perspective of the world today through evidence as well as an understanding of why and how historical events unfolded through argument and interpretation.
- Advanced critical thinking skills and historical insights using evidential, conceptual, and comparative frameworks.
The master’s degree includes nine courses—at least three taken on campus—and a thesis.
- Get started. You begin by completing three admission courses from the program curriculum. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your commitment and ability to perform well as a Harvard student.
- Apply to the program. While you are completing your third admission course, you may submit your application. We have application periods in the fall, spring, and summer.
- Continue your studies, online and on campus. As you progress through the program, you may choose from courses offered on campus or online, in the fall, spring, or summer. To fully experience Harvard, you take at least three courses on campus as part of your degree.
- Complete your thesis. Working with a thesis director, you conduct in-depth research on a topic relevant to your work experience or academic interests, producing publishable quality results. You’ll emerge with a solid understanding of how research is executed and communicated.
- Graduate with your Harvard degree. You participate in the annual Harvard Commencement, receiving your Harvard University degree: Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in extension studies, field: History.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- World History I: The Dawn of Civilization
- World History II: The Rise of the East
- History of Western Christianity, 100-1100
- History of Western Christianity, 1100-1500
- Early Modern Europe, 1450-178.
For more information please visit the program website.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory View 521 other Masters in History in United States
To begin the admission process, you complete:
- Proseminar: Research Methods and Scholarly Writing in the Social Sciences
- To register, pass the critical reading and writing skills test or earn a B or higher in the relevant expository writing course.
- You need to earn the minimum grade of B in a maximum of two registration attempts. The proseminar cannot be more than two years old at the time of application.
- One history course
- One history course or elective
International35000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 35000 USD for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
National35000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 35000 USD for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.