Graduate students of the Materials Science and Engineering program of Michigan Technological University have the opportunity to study composite materials, ceramics, metals and alloys, electronic and optical materials, and polymers. Research topics include synthesis and processing of primary materials, thermodynamics and kinetics of microstructural evolution, and material properties and performance, to name a few. Current research spans the entire spectrum of materials engineering and involves more than twenty-five government and industry partners. Students interact closely with automotive and primary metals industry.
- Ranked among the best in the nation by US News & World Report
- Faculty are nationally and internationally recognized for their teaching, research, and professional service. Many have received prestigious National Science Foundation CAREER Awards and are recognized by professional societies.
- The ratio of graduate students to faculty is 2.5:1.
- Excellent research facilities
- Close interaction between faculty and graduate students
- Successful alumni in industry, academia, and entrepreneurship
- This program is available as an accelerated master's degree.
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics
- Crystallography & Diffraction
- Mechanical Behavior of Materials
- Quantum Field Theory for Photonics and Materials
- Advanced Materials Processing for Mechanical, Energy, and Biomedical Applications
- Statistical Quality Control in Materials Manufacturing
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Mechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 476 other Masters in Mechanical Engineering in United States
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Admitted applicants typically have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale
- GRE not required
- Students with degrees in other fields may be required to take preparatory courses in summer.
- Students in course work option can switch to thesis if they get an advisor.
- TOEFL: Required Score of 79 iBT
- IELTS: Required Overall Band Score of 6.5
International26505 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26505 USD per year during 12 months.
National26505 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26505 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Houghton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.