The MFA Creative Writing Program at University of North Carolina Greensboro is one of the oldest such programs in the country. During the early years, the University had among its faculty a number of noted writers, such as Allen Tate, Caroline Gordon, John Crowe Ransom, Hiram Haydn, Peter Taylor, and Randall Jarrell. They invited other distinguished writers to campus to read from their work and to meet with students; these writers included Robert Lowell, Robert Frost, Flannery O’Connor, Robert Penn Warren, Eudora Welty, and Saul Bellow.
The MFA Writing Program is designed for for full-time residential students. The degree requires forty-eight hours of course work, a thesis (a volume of poems, short stories, or a novel), and an oral examination.
UNCG Resident MFA Faculty & Visiting Writers
The resident faculty at the MFA Writing Program in Greensboro are not only award-winning writers, but also committed teachers who have spent their careers mentoring young writers. Each year the faculty also invites writers and editors to visit the campus for readings, workshops, and master classes with MFA students. They bring unique voices and a variety of experience to the writing community. Guests have included winners of the Nobel Prize for Literature, the Pulitzer Prize, the MacArthur 'Genius' grant, the National Book Award, the Rome Prize, and the PEN/Hemingway Award, among other honors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- MFA Poetry Workshop
- Graduate Tutorial in Writing: Fiction
- Graduate Tutorial in Writing: Poetry
- Special Problems in Writing
- Contemporary Publishing
- Seminar on Publishing
- Internship in English
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
International applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their application one month prior to the posted departmental deadline.
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 263 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- This online application will include basic biographical information, your academic history, three letters of recommendation, college transcripts, GRE scores, a curriculum vitae or resume, a copy of your writing sample, and an application fee.
- The University of North Carolina at Greensboro requires all its graduate students, including those admitted to the MFA Program Writing Program, to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) general test. An official copy of the GRE general test scores should be reported to UNCG before admission. The GRE Subject Test in English is not required for admission to the MFA Writing Program.
International1715 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1715 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National1715 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1715 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State653 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 653 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.