Study and research are in numerous disciplinary cores including geophysics and tectonics, marine and environmental geology, volcanology/geochemistry/petrology, mineral physics and earth materials, remote sensing, planetary science, and space technology are pursued with advisors in the Dept. of Earth Sciences or the Hawaii Institute of Geophysics and Planetology. Students have access to a wide array of field sites, and world-class laboratory, computing, and ship-based research facilities.
Students with Earth and Planetary Sciences graduate degrees from University of Hawaii at Manoa pursue careers in industry, government, or in colleges and universities. Geoscience frontiers and challenges of the future including assessing the causes and risks of natural hazards (earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, land and beach degradation, sea level rise); understanding past and future climates, unraveling the evolution and composition of Earth's core, mantle, and crust; gaining knowledge about and managing natural resources (water, mineral, energy, beaches); and discovering processes of planetary bodies within, or well beyond, our solar system.
- Master's Plan B/C Studies
- Earth and Planetary Sciences Workshops
- Equations of Geophysics
- Explosive Volcanism
- Theoretical Petrology
- Petrology of Ocean Lithosphere
- Disaster Management: Understanding the Nature of Hazards
- Lava Flow Rheology and Morphology
- Current Events in Volcanology
- Submarine Volcanoes
- Isotopes and Trace Elements
- Graduate Teaching Geology
- Graduate Seminar
- Accelerated Geology
- Statistics and Data Analysis
- Advanced Field Study
- How to Write a Scientific Paper
- Coastal Geology
- Electron Microprobe Analysis
- Advanced Environmental Geochemistry
- Numerical Modeling of Physical Systems
- Geophysics–Solid, Fluid, and Wave Mechanics
- Geophysics–Gravity, Magnetics, and Heat Transfer
- Earth System Science and Global Change
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geography Geology View 278 other Masters in Geology in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Hawaii at Manoa and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Hold or expect to hold prior to matriculation a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education.
- Submit a copy of the passport identification pages, or a copy of the national identification card if a passport is not available.
- Submit one transcript or academic record from each institution of higher education attended, including any study abroad or exchange programs, summer programs, and non-degree work and extension programs.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take English Language Proficiency.
- Show proof of sufficient funding to cover all educational and living expenses, including expenses for any accompanying spouse or children.
International33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 12 months.
National33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State15600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7800 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Honolulu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.