Students can work in and across concentrations in literature, professional writing, rhetoric, cultural studies, film, folklore, linguistics, and the teaching of writing and literature.
It offers the MA in field-specific concentrations as well as the opportunity to combine a concentration in one field with a certificate from another one. Many students use the English - Teaching of Writing and Literature MA for professional enhancement, or as an entry into teaching, professional writing, or doctoral study.
Students in the concentrations of cultural studies, literature, and teaching of writing and literature must demonstrate intermediate proficiency in a foreign language in one of the following ways: submitting an undergraduate (or continuing education) transcript that includes courses corresponding to intermediate proficiency; completing a George Mason University foreign language course numbered 202 or higher; passing a proficiency exam administered by the English department.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research in English Studies
- Pedagogical Research
- Proseminar in Composition Instruction
- Workshop in English
- Proseminar in Teaching the Reading of Literature
- Composition Theory
- Studies in Rhetoric
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Field Work in Applied Linguistics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiterature Teaching Linguistics View 628 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
- Completed online application for graduate study and application fee
- An earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, or international equivalent, verified from copies of unofficial transcripts uploaded to the online application Self-Service Center.
- Copies of unofficial university transcripts and any earned degree
- All transcripts from colleges or universities outside the United States must be translated into English
- Verification of English language proficiency.
- Official GRE, GMAT, LSAT, or MAT or other official test scores
- Other supplemental materials specified by your academic program such as essays, departmental forms, portfolios, or interviews
International1412 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1412 USD per credit during 12 months.
National1412 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1412 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State524 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 524 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.