The Department of Curriculum Studies offers a 30 credit program leading to the degree of master of education in curriculum studies. It is designed to serve licensed teachers who wish to learn about and inquire into the areas of PK-3 early childhood, elementary, middle level, secondary education, or K-12 education.
Students in elementary and secondary education select Art, Language Arts/Literacy, Mathematics, or interdisciplinary subjects.
Other concentrations may be possible if advisors are available. K-12 concentrations include Aloha Kumu, Disability and Diversity Studies, Multicultural Education, Language, Literacy Specialist, Native Hawaiian and Indigenous Education Leadership, Reading, Science (Interdisciplinary Place-based, P-12), STEMS2 (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, Social Sciences and Sense of Place), Social Studies Education, and Teacher Leader.
Literacy Specialist and Reading K-12 programs earn graduate certificates. Two other programs–PK12 Interdisciplinary Place-based Science and Teacher Leader–earn college-endorsed certificates, with graduate certificates in process.
The Literacy Specialist, Reading K12, and Teacher Leader programs may be used to add a field to a Hawai'i teaching license. Previously taken MEd-CS courses count, so those who already hold the MEd-CS take only certificate courses to add the field of Literacy Specialist (18 credits), Reading (15 credits), or Teacher Leader (18 credits).
The Early Childhood Education program is designed to support professional development and promote leadership for professionals who work in programs serving children, including children with disabilities, between infancy and five-years of age and their families.
Multicultural Global Experience
Committed to being the leading indigenous serving university in the country, University of Hawaii at Manoa proudly delivers a unique multicultural global experience in a Hawaiian place of learning, with a long history of adherence to the principles of sustainability and the essence of aloha—truly like nowhere else on earth.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Advanced Child Development
- Seminar in Curriculum: Issues and Trends
- Early Intervention for Special Populations
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Family Public Policy
- ECE Advanced Topics: Professionalism and Ethics
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Regular mandatory meetings
- Continuous support with feedback on request
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesEducation Early Childhood Education View 3508 other Masters in Education in United States
- To be eligible, an applicant must hold or expect to hold prior to matriculation a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education. At minimum, the applicant needs to demonstrate above average academic performance (B average, usually a 3.0 on a 1.0-4.0 scale) for undergraduate course work and for any post-baccalaureate or graduate course work.
- Because the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of spaces available, admission is competitive. Meeting minimum admissions standards does not guarantee admission.
International33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16824 USD per semester and a duration of 30 months.
National33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16824 USD per semester and a duration of 30 months.
In-State15600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7800 USD per semester and a duration of 30 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.