By crafting a degree path, in conjunction with a graduate advisor, you are able to leverage the courses and faculty strength of the entire university. In our innovation-based economy, an interdisciplinary mindset can be highly prized.
This Individualized Studies concentration at George Mason University is not for everyone. The curriculum pursued should reflect a detailed plan of study that makes intellectual sense and that cannot be completed within available degree programs at the university.
- Rather, it should reflect a detailed plan of study that makes intellectual sense and that could not otherwise be completed within the already available degree programs at the university.
- Additionally, applicants to the individualized studies concentration must acquire the support of a graduate faculty member prior to applying to the program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- This concentration is for students who wish to design a graduate program to meet the special needs of their careers and life plans.
- Students usually choose this option because traditional graduate programs do not meet their specific goals.
- Students, with help from their faculty advisor, design a unique program of study that includes courses from several academic departments.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation General Studies & Classics View 3388 other Masters in Education in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A goals statement. The goals statement essay should express what the applicant hopes to achieve academically and/or professionally by doing an individualized degree at George Mason University and discussion of why other, relevant Mason master's programs are insufficient to achieve the applicant’s educational and professional goals.
A degree plan appended to the goals statement. The degree plan should be devised in accordance with the Individualized Studies degree requirements in the University catalog and in consultation with the applicant’s proposed faculty advisor.
A letter of support from the applicant’s proposed faculty advisor.
Additional letter of recommendation.
- A writing sample. The writing sample should be a formal piece of writing that demonstrates the applicant's ability to write and conduct research at the graduate level, use evidence to make an argument, cite sources, and engage in scholarly analysis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International53532 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1487 USD per credit during 12 months.
National53532 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1487 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State21564 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 599 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.