The Medical Illustration program of Rochester Institute of Technology collaborates with scientists, physicians, and other health care professionals, medical illustrators translate complex scientific information into visual images that support medical education, science research, patient care, advertising, and litigation. Illustration projects are designed for use in print, projection, broadcast media, and distribution via the web and mobile devices.
The two-year program emphasizes visual problem solving, determining the best approach to communicate a difficult concept. Students also gain real world experience by collaborating with medical researchers and observing live surgery in an operating room. The program culminates with the production of a thesis project, which requires extensive background research and an original body of artwork on a complex medical topic.
Careers and employment
Graduates of the MFA medical illustration find work with hospitals, medical schools, research centers, museums, medical publishers, advertising agencies, web design firms, animation studios, law firms, and a variety of other creative agencies. Since the MFA is considered the terminal degree in the arts, graduates may also find employment in academia, teaching in a wide range of computer graphics, scientific illustration, and art programs. Organizations that employ our include:
- Science magazine (American Association for the Advancement of Science)
- Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, University of Rochester Medical Center
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Roswell Park Cancer Center, Buffalo, NY
- MIT Center for Biomedical Innovation
- Cell Press (publishers of Cell and other scientific journals)
- Nucleus Global (medical communications)
- Custom Learning Designs (pharmaceutical advertising)
- The Presentation Group (courtroom graphics)
- Bryan Christie Design (pharmaceutical advertising)
- Emmi Solutions (web and interactive media)
- Cleveland Institute of Art (scientific illustration program)
- Illustrated Verdict (courtroom graphics)
- National Capital Area Medical Simulation Lab, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (developing virtual surgical simulators)
- Visible Body/Argosy Medical Publishing (medical publishing and interactive media)
- Department of Imaging Sciences, University of Rochester Medical Center
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
- Springer Healthcare Communications (medical publishing)
- Legal Art Works (courtroom graphics)
- Human Gross Anatomy
- Anatomic Studies
- 3D Modeling of Biomedical Forms
- 3D Animation of Biomedical Forms
- Computer Applications in Medical Illustration
- Scientific Visualization
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Graphic Design Medical Imaging View 796 other Masters in Human Medicine in United States
- Submit copies of official transcript(s) (in English) of all previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work, including any transfer credit earned.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree (or US equivalent) from an accredited university or college in a field of the arts, sciences, or education. The undergraduate degree should include one year of general or introductory biology (for biology majors), and a minimum of three advanced biology courses, such as vertebrate anatomy, physiology, neurobiology, cell biology, molecular biology, immunology, microbiology, genetics, developmental biology, or pathology.
- Recommended minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (or equivalent).
- Submit a current resume or curriculum vitae.
International54176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 54176 USD per year during 24 months.
National54176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 54176 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Rochester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.