The Translation major comprises the following concentrations:
Graduates of this Translation program from Kent State University will be able to:
- Translate authentic, industry-relevant content, both general and domain-specific, using appropriate tools and approaches
- Define and describe the roles and responsibilities of various language industry stakeholders and various forms of language service provision, and demonstrate an understanding of the basics of entrepreneurship and translation as a business
- Engage in effective research and information retrieval for a variety of language industry-relevant tasks
- Utilize a range of computer-assisted technologies, including machine translation, for language industry-relevant tasks and demonstrate an understanding of the place, benefits and limitations of those technologies in a given project scenario
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional and ethical considerations in various project scenarios
- Successfully communicate and mediate communication across languages and cultures in multilingual, multicultural contexts
- Apply theory to inform and justify their decision-making
- Critically reflect on their work and that of others
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Graduate Research and Writing in Translation Studies
- Documents in Multilingual Contexts
- Theory of Translation and Interpreting
- Terminology and Computer Applications in Translation
- Software Localization
- Practice of Arabic Translation
- Literary and Cultural Translation
- Commercial, Legal and Diplomatic Translation
- Scientific, Technical and Medical Translation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
For timely consideration of the application, it is recommended applicants submit a complete application at least one month before the start of the semester.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Translation & Interpreting Linguistics View 999 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 2.750 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement
- A CD or MP3/wav file with a five-minute oral sample in the applicant's first and second languages (conversational, not read from a script)
- Writing sample(s) in applicant's second language,1 which should be accompanied by a signed declaration that the sample is original work and that the applicant received no help in its preparation
- Three letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD per year during 12 months.
National17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State9648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9648 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Kent
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.