The Masters of Science in Geology provides the opportunity to gain an in-depth knowledge and experience centered around one of the sub-disciplines of the geological sciences that builds on the undergraduate foundation. Learning is rooted in field- and/or laboratory-based experiences that are provided by advanced coursework in the discipline.
Most importantly, students work with faculty members to conduct original scientific research leading to a written thesis that describes the problem, methodology and results. Students must complete an oral thesis defense and are highly encouraged to publish their findings in peer-reviewed journals and present them at regional, national and/or international conferences.
The degree prepares students for: professional geology positions in industry and government; geologic consulting opportunities; teaching positions at high school or community college; and Ph.D programs at other institutions.
Learning is preeminent at California State University Fullerton. We aspire to combine the best qualities of teaching and research universities where actively engaged students, faculty and staff work in close collaboration to expand knowledge.
We are a comprehensive, regional university with a global outlook, located in Orange County, a technologically rich and culturally vibrant area of metropolitan Los Angeles. Our expertise and diversity serve as a distinctive resource and catalyst for partnerships with public and private organizations. We strive to be a center of activity essential to the intellectual, cultural and economic development of our region.
- To ensure the preeminence of learning
- To provide high-quality programs that meet the evolving needs of our students, community and region
- To enhance scholarly and creative activity
- To make collaboration integral to our activities
- To create an environment where all students have the opportunity to succeed
- To increase external support for university programs and priorities
- To expand connections and partnerships with our region
- To strengthen institutional effectiveness, collegial governance and our sense of community
California State University, Fullerton, is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Many of the academic programs at CSUF are also accredited by discipline-specific accreditation agencies and associations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Geological Concepts and Methods
- Advanced Topics in Geochemistry
- Advanced Topics in Geology
- Advanced Topics in Hydrogeology
- Advanced Topics in Geophysics
- Advanced Topics in Engineering Geology
- Geoscience Seminar
- Directed Graduate Studies in the Geosciences
- Independent Graduate Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeology View 186 other Masters in Geology in United States
- Bachelor’s degree in geology from an accredited institution, with an expected grade-point average of 3.0 in geology courses, which normally includes the equivalent to core courses of the Cal State Fullerton Geology B.S. program and a 2.5 grade-point-average in related science and mathematics courses; or, in the case of a bachelor’s degree in a related area, a selection of science courses deemed as adequate preparation for further study in geology by the Department Graduate Committee
- Satisfactory performance on the Graduate Record Examination Aptitude Test with an expected score in the 50th percentile or better on the verbal and quantitative tests
- Three letters of recommendation
International15457 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15457 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National10764 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10764 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State10764 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10764 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Non-Resident Tuition Fee: An additional $396 per unit of enrollment
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.