Graduates earn licensure for teaching in grades 6-9 in social studies. Students are admitted in the spring, summer 1, or fall semesters.
The Master of Teaching-Social Studies (Middle Grades) at North Carolina State University in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction seeks to prepare teachers to effectively educate young adolescents, while being responsive to their unique needs, interests and abilities.
A bachelor’s degree in a social science or 24 semester hours in anthropology, economics, geography, history, political science, psychology and/or sociology is a pre-requisite for this program.
Students may be required to take additional courses to better prepare for teaching the middle grades social studies curriculum:
- 6th Grade Social Studies: Beginnings of Human Society to the Emergence of the First Global Age (1450)
- 7th Grade: The Great Global Convergence (1400-1800) to the Present
- 8th Grade: North Carolina–Creation and Development of the State
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Principles of Developing and Interpreting Assessment
- Exploring Diversity in Classroom and Community
- Classroom Action Research
- Teacher Leadership
- Methods & Materials for Teaching Social Studies in the Middle Grades
- Special Topics in Social Studies Education
- Special Problems in Social Studies Education
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 1291 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Online Application
- Personal Statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- Test Scores GRE
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree from a college or university that holds regional accreditation from a recognized accrediting agency such as SACS
International28998 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 28998 USD per year and a duration of 18 months.
National28998 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 28998 USD per year and a duration of 18 months.
In-State11672 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11672 USD per year and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.