The Master of Teaching-Social Studies (Secondary) at North Carolina State University in the Department of Curriculum & Instruction prepares teachers to teach secondary social studies including history, political science, government, civics, geography, and behavioral sciences.The program results in licensure in grades 9-12 and focuses on a combination of social studies subject matter and pedagogy related to preparing young people for the rights and responsibilities of citizenship in the United States.
The MAT to teach secondary social studies is offered to those who hold a bachelor’s degree in a social science (economics, geography, history, political science, psychology or sociology) or 24 semester hours/credits with a minimum of one class from each of the following:
- US History Pre 1865
- US History Post 1865
- Political Science
- World History
- History of a non-Western Culture
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Principles of Developing and Interpreting Assessment (2 hrs.)
- Exploring Diversity in Classroom and Community (3 hrs.)
- Classroom Action Research (1 hr.)
- Inquiry and Professional Development (1 hr.)
- Organization and Behavioral Management of Inclusive Classrooms (3 hrs.)
- Teacher Leadership
- Methods & Materials in Teaching Secondary Social Studies
- Special Problems in Social Studies Education
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 1018 other Masters in Education in United States
- Online Application
- Personal Statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- Test Scores
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree from a college or university that holds regional accreditation from a recognized accrediting agency such as SACS
International28998 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 28998 USD per year and a duration of .
National28998 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 28998 USD per year and a duration of .
In-State11672 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11672 USD per year and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.