The department from Michigan State University also offers topics such as: soil physics; soil chemistry; soil biophysics; soil fertility; and environmental and pollution aspects of soil science, including the study of waste disposal on land.
The Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences offers programs leading to Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Crop and Soil Sciences, plant breeding, genetics and biotechnology—crop and soil sciences, and in plant pathology. The department also offers a Doctor of Philosophy degree program in crop and soil sciences—environmental toxicology.
Students enrolled in the Doctor of Philosophy degree program may elect a Specialization in Biotechnology. For additional information, refer to the statement on the specialization.
Students who are enrolled in Master of Science degree programs in the Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences may elect a Specialization in Food Safety.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The student may elect either Plan A (with thesis) or Plan B (without thesis). A total of 30 credits is required for the degree under either Plan A or Plan B.
- In addition to courses in the major, a minor or study in areas related to crop and soil sciences is required.
- Students are encouraged to select such courses as botany, biochemistry, chemistry, geology, plant pathology, and statistics. The student is required to complete satisfactorily one semester of teaching.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSoil Science Plant & Crop Sciences Genetics View 40 other Masters in Soil Science in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants for admission to the master's degree program should have a bachelor's degree in crop and soil sciences or in a related field such as botany or chemistry.
- Applicants should also have substantial academic background in the physical sciences (including chemistry and physics), in the biological sciences (including botany), and in mathematics.
- The completion of an undergraduate crop and soil sciences major with an agricultural science specialization would be considered ideal.
- Students with deficiencies in their backgrounds will be required to complete collateral courses in addition to the courses that are required for the master's degree.
International27792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27792 USD per year during 24 months.
National27792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27792 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State14144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14144 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for East Lansing
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.