The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages program at Southern Illinois University prepares students both intellectually and experientially so that as professionals they are capable of making wise and informed choices among different language teaching approaches, methods, and techniques. In addition, students will understand how differences among individual students, teaching and learning situations, and socials structures influence decisions they will be called upon to make as teachers or other language professionals. The TESOL master’s program provides a firm and broad foundation in current theories of language and language learning and graduates will be prepared to take on careers as teacher educators and curriculum or assessment specialists as well as classroom teachers.
There are two options for completing the MA TESOL degree: a thesis option and a non-thesis option. In both cases 36 credits are required. Both options include five components: a group of core courses totaling 15 semester hours, a selection of language skills-related courses totaling 6 semester hours, a teaching specialty course (3 semester hours), free electives totaling 6 semester hours, and research training (6 semester hours)-- either a thesis (thesis option) or additional course work from a selected group of focus courses with a substantial research component (non-thesis option).
- Assessment of ESL and Bilingual Students
- The Professional Study of Linguistics
- Second Language Acquisition
- Methods and Materials of TESOL
- Teaching Grammar and Writing in a Second Language
- Teaching Listening and Speaking in a Second Language
- Theoretical Foundations of ESL and Bilingual Education
- Bilingual Education Methods and Materials
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Students seeking admission are encouraged to apply early in the Spring semester for admission in the following Fall.
DisciplinesTeaching Teaching English View 209 other Masters in Teaching English in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Southern Illinois University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- 2.7 (on a grading scale with 4.0=A; approximately a "B-" average) on the last two years of Bachelor's coursework
- 3.0 on all previous graduate work (approximately a "B" average)
International35213 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35213 USD per year during 24 months.
National35213 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35213 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State14085 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14085 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Carbondale
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.