This Computing programme from Cardiff University offers students from diverse career and subject areas a balance of software engineering skills and technical abilities required for a career in Software Development.
Through this one-year programme you will get a first-hand understanding of the vital problem-solving role of software, the interdisciplinary opportunities available, and what computational systems can achieve.
Through a gentle introduction and intensive support, you will be introduced to programming skills using important languages such as Java and Python. Emphasis is placed on handling data and you will develop essential skills in SQL (Structured Query Language) for advanced database functionality using industry standard products such as Oracle™.
A choice of taught optional modules allows you to further develop skills in areas of your choice.
Graduates from these programmes will be ideally placed for employment in the computing industry or for careers requiring a combination of their graduate discipline with computing expertise.
The distinctive features of this course include:
- An opportunity to take a conversion course which is also an accredited course recognised by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT.
- The opportunity to complement the discipline in which you graduated with the discipline of Computing.
- Tailor the course to your interests through a range of advanced optional modules.
- Flexible choice of project topic, for example: associated with the research activity of the School fulfilling a business need reflecting your own interest.
- You will be provided with a laptop during induction week that will remain with you throughout the duration of the course.
Recent graduates have gained employment in roles such as software developers, systems analysts, business analysts, IT consultants, and support engineers.
MSc Computing graduates are employed by organisations of all sizes locally, nationally, and internationally. For example, recent graduates have taken up positions with local NHS Trusts, Logica, Sun Microsystems, BT, and the National Library of Medicine in the USA, as well as undertaking further doctoral study.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Web Application Development
- Python for Computation
- Object-Oriented Development with Java
- Software Engineering
- Computational Systems
- Distributed and Cloud Computing
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
It is recommended you apply 9–12 months in advance of the course starting.
DisciplinesComputer Sciences View 607 other Masters in Computer Sciences in United Kingdom
- Applicants will possess minimum of a 2:2 honours degree or equivalent professional qualification in a subject other than computing.
- Non-graduates whose relative lack of formal qualifications is compensated for by their relevant work experience will also be considered.
International22950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22950 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9700 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Part time fee
- EU/EEA £4,850
- NON-EU/EEA £11,475
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.