The Geoscience thesis-based degree program at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, also serves as a stepping-stone for those students who wish to pursue further graduate studies at the Doctoral level. Working closely with their advisor, students focus on original research in one of several areas of specialization, including: petrology, volcanology, economic geology, structural geology, sedimentology, geochemistry, hydrology, soil science, climate change, petroleum geology, and paleontology. Students are expected to develop original research suitable for submission to a refereed scientific journal. Students are expected to have strong content knowledge in their area of emphasis, which is tested during the culminating defense of their thesis research.
- Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation for scientific inquiry/scientific method.
- Demonstrate the ability to define a research problem by identifying questions and formulating tests of hypotheses.
- Demonstrate the ability to search existing scientific literature for work relevant to a specific problem.
- Demonstrate the ability to execute problem-specific skills at an advanced level.
- Demonstrate the ability to design and carry out a substantial independent research project through to completion.
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully present the results of a scientific inquiry in both oral and written formats.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Intro to Sedimentary Processes and Sedimentary Rocks
- Terrigenous Clastic Sediments and Sedimentary Rocks
- Biogenic, Chemical and Volcanogenic Sediments and Rocks
- Sediments: From Source to Destination
- Environments and Facies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeology Environmental Sciences View 494 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United States
- A bachelor's degree in geology or an appropriate but closely-related equivalent.
- In order to be admitted without contingencies the student must have completed an introductory geology class and six of the following eight classes (or their equivalents): mineralogy, geochemistry, geomorphology, structural geology, igneous and metamorphic petrology, paleontology, field geology, and sedimentology/stratigraphy.
- Transcripts All applicants are required to submit a transcript from each postsecondary institution attended, showing all degrees and coursework, the dates awarded, and grades received.
International21247 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21247 USD per year during 12 months.
National21247 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21247 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State6197 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6197 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Paradise
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.