Graduate Assistantships in teaching, research, and professional development professionally advance students who have rare opportunities to engage in cutting-edge research, contribute to the development of curriculum, manage studios and shops, and work alongside community members, local organizations, and other departments on campus. As the culmination of the program, each MFA candidate produces a public graduation thesis project.
Through academic and public programming, the Department of Art at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, collaborates with UNLV’s Marjorie Barrick Museum of Art, a network of campus galleries, and the College of Fine Arts which boldly launches visionaries not only in art and design, but also in dance, film, theater, set design, entertainment design, music, architecture, and related disciplines. Graduate students have the opportunity to work with a diverse art/art history faculty whose work engages a variety of media, including site-based installation, sculpture, ceramics, photography, painting, drawing, printmaking, performance, intermedia, graphic design, and digital art. The department regularly presents visiting speakers and hosts artists-in-residence. Engagement with faculty, peers and the Las Vegas cultural community creates an experience-rich environment that guides MFA candidates in their exploration of creative research activities.
Department of Art MFA – Art alumni exhibit and publish their work regionally, nationally and internationally, and contribute to their communities and the field of contemporary art as artists, designers, writers, educators, creative directors, administrators, arts advocates and cultural producers.
MFA students in studio art will be able to continue developing their creative research activities, gain knowledge in contemporary issues in art practice and theory and to sustain themselves personally, economically and professionally. Upon completion of the MFA in studio art, students should be able to:
- Identify and interpret major works of global art from prehistory to the present.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the utilization of a range of processes that encompass each student’s chosen area of concentration.
- Produce a successful package of professional materials and documents, including an artist’s statement and portfolio.
- Competently present and discuss own artistic works and practices.
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of one’s own works within a larger context of contemporary art, design, theory, and practices.
- Exhibit a selection of representative works in a public gallery or other cultural venue.
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism.
It is expected that the thesis work establishes a serious and independent foundation and makes an original contribution to the field of art. The UNLV/MFA in studio art is interested in developing individuals who have the potential of sustaining themselves subjectively through their creative work and ideas. This creative work may manifest itself not only through exhibiting work in galleries and museums but also in related fields as: curatorial positions in galleries /museums, design institutions, architectural firm s contributing to city/environmental activities and film industries.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Graduate Faculty Studio
- Seminar in Studio Practices
- Art Since 1945
- Directed Readings
- Theory and Criticism
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History View 650 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- Transcripts All applicants are required to submit a transcript from each postsecondary institution attended, showing all degrees and coursework, the dates awarded, and grades received. If the institution is outside the U.S., a foreign credential evaluation may be required.
- Credentials not in English must be accompanied by an English translation certified as true by a university official, an official representative of a United States embassy or consulate, the United States Information Service, the United States Education Foundation, or an approved professional translating service. Notarized copies of originals or translations are not considered official.
International21247 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21247 USD per year during 24 months.
National21247 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21247 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State6197 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6197 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Paradise
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.