The Department of English offers a wide variety of graduate courses to meet the needs of students with a diversity of interests and academic backgrounds who wish to enhance their awareness of their literary and cultural environment by additional formal instruction or to increase their professional competence.
The English program from The University of Texas at Arlington provides a strong grounding in scholarly methods and in theory, making it an ideal preparation for doctoral study in disciplinary or interdisciplinary programs. MA graduates in English pursue careers in journalism, educational administration and services, publishing, and many business fields that demand writing and communication skills. The MA in English is also useful for prospective or experienced teachers who want both to sharpen their ability to teach literature and writing and to advance professionally.
- Published Writer
- Teacher at all levels
- Higher Education Professor
- Integrated Reading/Writing
- Rhetoric and Composition
- Structure of Modern English
- American Poetry
- Technical Communication
- Creative Writing
- World Literature
- British Literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 1098 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 in undergraduate work, with a minimum of 3.4 in the English major or upper-level English courses. Applicants who did not major in English should have at least 12 hours of upper-level undergraduate coursework in English. Non-majors who do not meet the upper-level English coursework requirement may still apply, but will likely need to take leveling courses (see below).
- GRE scores: a minimum of 153 on the verbal scale and 4.5 on analytic writing. We will not consider the math scores. We do not require the English subject test.
- A writing sample of 10 to 15 pages that demonstrates a sophisticated prose style and the ability to construct complex arguments.
- Three letters of recommendation that attest to the prospective student’s intellectual and scholarly potential. At least two of these should be from former professors.
International20620 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20620 USD per year during 12 months.
National20620 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20620 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State10828 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10828 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Texas City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.