Inventors and companies use patents to bring new ideas to market and generate revenue. The Law School’s rich Patent Law program from University of Minnesota combines traditional study of the complexity of patent law with project-based learning about business strategies and extensive practical hands-on training. We prepare you for a multitude of careers in patent-intensive industries, from medical technology to computer software.
When you finish, you will understand the science behind patents, the law that secures them, and the techniques to manage innovation and maximize the value of resulting patents. You also will create a portfolio of practice-based work, including drafting a patent application, drafting a licensing agreement, presenting a patent strategy and presenting opportunities for innovation.
Your coursework includes:
- Traditional law school classes
- Workshops where you develop practical skills like problem-solving and drafting patents
- Intensive training in writing skills necessary to succeed in patent law
- Project-based capstone course where you complete a portfolio of your work to show employers
- Proseminar to learn about the wide range of career opportunities in the fields of patent law, innovation management, and technology businesses.
- Wide range of electives that allows you to tailor your curriculum to your goals.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Patent Prosecution Practice
- Patent Portfolio Management
- Patent Law Proseminar
- Patent Prosecution
- Intellectual Property Transactions
- Patent Law Capstone: Innovation
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPatent & Intellectual Property Law View 22 other Masters in Patent & Intellectual Property Law in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A completed application includes:
- application form and application fee
- official academic transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- two letters of recommendation
- personal statement
- proof of English proficiency demonstrated through adequate TOFEL or IELTS scores
- résumé or CV
International52560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 52560 USD for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
National52560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 52560 USD for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
In-State43704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 43704 USD for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Tuition does not include University and Law School fees, health insurance, books and supplies, or living expenses.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.