In the past thirty years the boundaries between history and literature have become usefully blurred. Furthermore, the dialogue between the two has taken many different forms. In literary studies, there has been a re-evaluation of the traditional field of literary history, with greater attention paid to the historical evolution of genres and styles.
- Historians have taken in the notion that history is a literary genre and are aware of the interplay between archival material and historical imagination.
- Several thriving and inter-related fields like literary history, the history of the book, intellectual history, and the history of science are now history and literature hybrids. The M.A. in History and Literature at Columbia University capitalizes on this propitious intellectual moment.
- The program is held at Columbia’s Global Centers Paris, located at Reid Hall in the sixth arrondissement in Paris.
- Students are taught by eminent scholars in history and literature from Columbia University, and also choose from a wide variety of courses at France’s two top-tier graduate schools in the humanities and the social sciences: the Ecole normale supérieure and the Ecole des hautes études en sciences sociales.
- Students develop a sophisticated awareness of theoretical issues, addressing new methodological horizons.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Literature View 809 other Masters in Literature in United States
- Transcripts showing courses and grades from all post-secondary schools attended.
- A CV
- A statement of purpose.
- A writing sample in English (can be an excerpt, 10-15 pages).
- Three letters of recommendation. Those who have not been enrolled in an academic program for some time may submit letters from supervisors or colleagues in positions of responsibility.
- TOEFL. Required for all international students whose native language is not English or whose undergraduate degree is from an institution in a country whose official language is not English. IELTS scores are also acceptable to fill this requirement.
- Optional - GRE general exam.
- $115 Application Fee submitted electronically through the application portal.
International64726 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32363 USD per semester during 12 months.
National64726 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32363 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.