The Literacy, M.S.Ed. program at State University of New York Potsdam allows candidates to qualify for Initial Certification in either Literacy (Birth-Grade 6) or Literacy (Grade 5-12). Candidates will also satisfy the academic requirements for Professional certification in their Initial New York certification area. This program is nationally recognized by the International Literacy Association.
What You Will Learn
- In-depth knowledge of literacy theories and research-based practices essential for effective, inclusive teaching and intervention, curriculum development, and leadership.
- Multiple opportunities to examine assessment and intervention, enabling you to administer and interpret a wide variety of formal and informal literacy assessment tools.
- Collaboration and communication skills central for working as part of a school team addressing the unique literacy needs of B-12 learners.
- Perspectives and skills to develop innovative literacy programs that engage diverse students and families in school and community settings.
- Student-centered, inquiry-based approaches to help you read and think critically, including the ability to analyze literacy research and construct literacy action research projects.
- Literacy Assessment and Evaluation
- Literacy Research
- Literacy: Family/School/Community Collaboration
- Literacy and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Literacy Intervention Strategies Birth-6
- Emergent Literacy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiteracy Education View 160 other Masters in Literacy Education in United States
- All graduate applicants must show evidence of an earned baccalaureate degree from a duly accredited college or university, typically through submission of an official transcript obtained through the registrar’s office of each prior institution attended.
- Unofficial transcripts may be submitted for the purpose of obtaining an admissions decision. However, proof of completion of bachelor's degree requirements, and conferral of that degree must be submitted no later than the end of the fourth week of classes.
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average as indicated within each specific program of study. All programs utilize the most recent 60 credits for GPA purposes (unless otherwise indicated) / 3.0 GPA
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 24 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Potsdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.