About Chemical and Biochemical Engineering at The University of Iowa
Chemical and biochemical engineers combine engineering principles with knowledge of mathematics and specific sciences—chemistry, the biological sciences, and physics—to develop and operate processes that convert raw materials into products that benefit society. For example, biochemical engineers might develop and operate processes to convert switchgrass into biofuels or to mass produce an antibiotic.
Chemical and biochemical engineers engage in a wide variety of activities that benefit the global community. Fuel cells, solar energy, and biorenewable fuels (e.g., biodiesel or ethanol) fall within the realm of chemical engineering.
Chemical and biochemical engineers work in a wide range of industries, including petroleum and specialty chemical production, polymer and plastic production, food processing, energy, microelectronics production, pharmaceutical production, biochemical processing, and environmental compliance. Potential jobs include production, process development, plant design and construction, and fundamental research. The engineering profession also is a foundation for a variety of careers in medicine, law, government, and consulting. Many experienced chemical and biochemical engineers move through management ranks to high-level administrative positions. Faculty mentors assigned to graduate students aid in their professional development. Students are exposed to opportunities through seminar speakers who have relevant expertise and are invited to campus.
- Chemical Engineering Internship/Co-op
- Energy and Society
- Environment, Energy, and Climate Change
- Severe and Unusual Weather
- Process Calculations
- Computational Tools for Chemical Engineers
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Biology View 1267 other Masters in Biology in United States
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- A statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International29379 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29379 USD per year during 12 months.
National30852 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30852 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12311 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12311 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.