The basic generalist curriculum introduces students to the range of social welfare problems and programs, and to the varieties of human behavior with which social work is concerned. At the same time, students learn the methods by which the social worker, the social agency and the organized community work with people and problems. Field instruction, under supervision in a social agency, is scheduled for two or three days a week, enabling students to apply theory to practice. All content areas include content on diversity, social work values and ethics, and economic justice and populations at risk. At the completion of foundation requirements, students are expected to have acquired a sense of professional responsibility and the ability to use knowledge on behalf of the individual, the group and the community.
A Program With You in Mind - The Social Work MSW program offered at University of Southern California:
- An individualized study plan and one-on-one guidance from a faculty advisor help you map your career goals.
- A choice of five concentrations and five sub-concentrations and eight dual-degree programs helps you prepare for the kind of job you want.
- Field internships match your interests, educational needs and practice goals.
- International study opportunities offer you an up-close look at social work in other regions of the world.
- Select classes in the summer or on weekends accommodate your busy schedule.
- Locations in downtown Los Angeles, Irvine, West L.A., San Diego – and now online – are convenient wherever you live and work.
- Career and professional development services help you prepare for a job search or licensure and brush up on practice skills.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Human Behavior and the Social Environment
- Policy and Practice in Social Service Organizations
- Social Policy
- Social Work Practice with Individuals
- Social Work Practice with Families, Groups and Complex Cases
- Social Work Research
- Integrative Learning for Social Work Practice
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology Public Policy View 355 other Masters in Social Work in United States
- The USC School of Social Work requires a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum of 18 units of liberal arts coursework.
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (based on a 4.0 grading scale)
- Strong academic promise to perform successfully at the graduate level
- Experience in providing service to people preferred (1-2 years of social work-related or volunteer experience)
- TOEFL/IELTS (International Applicants Only)
International59260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 59260 USD per year during 24 months.
National59260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 59260 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.