About this Degree
These degrees from University of Tennessee Knoxville are distinguished by the length of study required and level of study and are determined by the student’s baccalaureate education. All graduate architecture degrees also offer several options to specialize in concentrations, furthering the student’s ability to customize their graduate educations in areas that they find the most promising and inviting.
In the United States, state registration boards require a degree from an accredited professional degree program as a prerequisite for licensure. The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), which is the sole agency authorized to accredit U.S. professional degree programs in architecture, recognizes three types of degrees: the Bachelor of Architecture, the Master of Architecture, and the Doctor of Architecture. A program may be granted an 8-year, 3-year, or 2-year term.
The Master of Architecture 3G (MArch 3G) program is a program for students who hold a bachelor’s degree in a field other than architecture. Typically three academic years plus one summer in length, the Master of Architecture program is designed to accommodate students who come from a variety of backgrounds, including those with no previous formal study in architecture. This academic plan culminates in either a written- or design-based Master of Architecture Project (MAP). This program requires 102 credit hours of graduate coursework.
The Master of Architecture 2G, (MArch 2G) is a professional degree program for students with an NAAB accredited 4-year pre-professional bachelor’s degree in architecture. Typically two academic years in length, this academic plan culminates in either a Master of Architecture Project (MAP) or in a Diploma Studio. This program requires 60 credit hours of graduate coursework.
- The programs housed in the School of Architecture are fully accredited by the National Architecture Accreditation Board (NAAB).
- 42 credit hours in a required sequence of Design courses, called studio.
- 4 credit hours in Representation courses.
- 11 credit hours in History, Theory and Research courses.
- 9 credit hours in Disciplinary Discourse courses selected in consultation with the major advisor.
- 18 credit hours in Structures, Technology and Professional Practice courses.
- 18 credit hours in Architecture-Approved elective courses.
- 42 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArchitecture Industrial Design Landscape Architecture View 178 other Masters in Landscape Architecture in United States
The following must be submitted by all applicants directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- A completed online Graduate Application for Admission. Visit their website at http://graduateadmissions.utk.edu/req.shtml for the online application process.
- The general portion scores of the Graduate Record Examination. Applicants should take the GRE at least six weeks in advance of application for admission.
- A minimum 3.00 undergraduate GPA, minimum 3.25 graduate GPA, minimum GRE scores: 147 QV and 3.0 analytical. Standardized test scores can be weighted differently in the admissions process depending on an applicant’s strengths.
- An essay addressing the applicant’s intent and expectations for study in the program.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A portfolio illustrating evidence of visual creativity and/or graphic capabilities.
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 42 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 42 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 42 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.