In order to be eligible for the Reading Specialist/Supervision certificates, program graduates must have an initial New Jersey teaching certification with two years of full-time experience as a classroom teacher to be eligible for Reading Specialist certification and three years to be eligible for the Supervisor certification.
The Reading Specialist and Supervisor program from Rutgers University is designed to enable students to initiate new programs, evaluate curriculum, design assessment, engage other teachers in professional development, and be able to act as a leader in the school. These individuals will be able to plan programs for children of differing abilities and diverse cultural backgrounds. These students should also be able to foster a vision of literacy learning as an active social process in which students become engaged readers with strategies for independent reading, and the motivation to read for pleasure and for information.
- To expand and deepen understanding of how individuals and groups develop literacy practices, skills, and knowledge
- To improve professional practice
- To develop knowledge of current research and theory related to literacy instruction through analysis and synthesis of seminal work in the field
- To develop a plan for future learning and professional development
More informationVisit official programme website
- Theoretical Foundations of Literacy: Research, Policy, and Practice
- Diagnosis and Correction of Reading Difficulties
- Clinical Practicum in Reading (Laboratory in Remedial Reading)
- Literacy Research and Supervision
- Summer institute in Literacy (Current Issues)
- Teaching the Language Arts
- Teaching Writing for Children and Adolescents
- Teachers as Writers
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Special Education View 653 other Masters in Special Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Personal statement.
- Three letters of recommendation. One letter of recommendation from the applicant’s current or previous school principal or supervisor, on school district letterhead, certifying the completion of two years of successful, full-time employment under a New Jersey Standard Instructional Certificate or Educational Services Certificate.
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Photocopy or electronic copy of a New Jersey Standard Instructional Certificate or Educational Services Certificate.
International30144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15072 USD per semester and a duration of 60 months.
National30144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15072 USD per semester and a duration of 60 months.
In-State17736 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8868 USD per semester and a duration of 60 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.