In this Public Administration (Online) programme from the University of York you will learn how to analyse complex public management problems and lead change effectively while you develop your ability to manage through networks and partnerships.
Upon graduation, you will be well placed to shape and deliver the public services of the future, and move into more strategic roles in a wide range of public, non-profit and third sector organisations.
Flexible learning in a global community
By studying this online Masters you will join a global learning community with peers working in similar organisations around the world, providing an opportunity to learn from diverse perspectives and make valuable additions to your global professional network.
The flexible design of the programme means that you can access programme content at any time and study around your work, family and private commitments. Because the online Master of Public Administration is delivered entirely online, you can study and complete it from anywhere in the world, without ever needing to visit campus.
You will learn from a highly experienced team with a global reputation for its teaching and research. The Department has received global recognition, including in 2021 when the University of York was ranked 22nd in the world for social policy and administration in the QS World University rankings.
Advancing your career
This programme is aimed at ambitious professionals working in the public or non-profit sector who aim to further develop their knowledge and skills in the field of public administration and public policy. It is also well-suited to those in private sector roles with a link to public policy and public management. The knowledge and skills that you will gain – in combination with a qualification from a prestigious Russell Group university – will help enable you to move into public service roles with higher degrees of leadership responsibility and strategic impact.
York MPA graduates go on to a wide range of roles, including in government, international NGOs and charities, the NHS, leading consultancies and accountancy firms, universities, banks, and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureWhat you will study
- Studying the online MPA, you will explore three dimensions of public administration: the policy process, within which public services are developed; the organisational and human context through which public services are delivered; and the wider social, economic and political environment that shapes public service demands and constraints.
- Over the course of the programme you will grow as a competent and reflective practitioner, both in your current role, and in preparation for more demanding roles in the future.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications can be submitted year-round, but we recommend you apply as early as possible as entry to many courses is competitive.
DisciplinesPublic Administration Public Policy View 9 other Masters in Public Administration in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Students should normally have at least a 2:1 undergraduate degree or equivalent qualification and the professional experience outlined below.
- If they don't have experience of undergraduate study or only of a lower standard, the application may be considered if they have a suitable professional background, as outlined below.
- Students should have professional experience in the public policy/public service/public administration/international development field. This could be in roles in local or national government, or in non-governmental, intergovernmental or international organisations, the voluntary and charitable sector, and private sector roles which support or deliver public services or which interact with policy making. The extent of experience should be at least on an early career level, with some degree of involvement in organisational decision making or with a clear career path towards such responsibilities.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9840 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9840 GBP per year during 24 months.
National9840 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9840 GBP per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.