Materials Science and Engineering is a dynamic field involved in the synthesis, structure, properties, and performance of materials. Advanced materials are the foundation of manufactured products and many of the technological advances of this century were enabled by the development of new materials.
The Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering offers both thesis and non-thesis options for the Master’s Degree in Material Science and Engineering program from Florida International University. A student seeking the Master’s degree with or without thesis is required to pass a comprehensive oral or written examination.
All work counted for the Master’s degree must be completed during the six years immediately following the date of admission.
There is an increasing demand for graduates in materials science and engineering, with high technology industries leading the need for graduates. In fact, many of the companies needing materials scientists and engineers did not exist 20 years ago. Because everything is made of materials and new materials, such as nanomaterials, are rapidly being developed, materials science and engineering is a growth field in engineering.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Materials
- Physical Properties of Materials
- Analytical Methods in Material Science
- Thin Film Engineering
- Surface Science
- Introduction to Ceramic Materials
- Principles of Composite Materials
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, National
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering View 207 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
- Online Graduate Application
- $30 apllication fee
- Official University/College transcript from all institutions previously attended in a sealed institution envelope, If you graduated from FIU, you do not need to request transcripts.
- Official translations of Official University/College transcripts (if offical transcripts are in language other than English)
International18030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9015 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National18030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9015 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
In-State8202 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4101 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.