Students design an individual course of study by selecting a combination of art education, liberal arts, and studio art classes.
The Art Education program at Boston University allows students to concentrate on developing methods that teach children and adolescents to think visually and to create art that has personal meaning. Graduate students become a cohesive community of art educators and studio practitioners.
This is a professional development degree offered for licensed teachers. Upon completion of this program, students will:
- Develop professional leadership skills grounded in the knowledge of history of art and art education, and related contemporary policies and practices.
- Demonstrate the development of skills for scholarly writing and research practices that culminate in a capstone qualitative research project.
- Design a developmentally-appropriate curriculum that responds to the needs of diverse learners, and reflects a knowledge of their local and national standards.
- Develop and sustain an art-making practice that informs their teaching.
- Demonstrate an awareness and ability to integrate contemporary art and issues into their teaching practice with a global and cross-cultural lens.
- Contemporary Issues in Art Education
- Teaching Art to Special Populations
- Art Curriculum Planning
- History of Art Education
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- As of spring 2023, we will admit students six times per year (spring I, spring II, summer I, summer I, fall I, fall II)
DisciplinesArt Education View 27 other Masters in Art Education in United States
- Completed application for graduate admission to the College of Fine Arts. (Please follow instructions within the online application for submitting materials electronically by upload or mailing hardcopy.)
- Nonrefundable application fee of $95.
- Two (2) current recommendations from immediate supervisors, art teachers, mentors, and/or undergraduate faculty addressing your leadership abilities in art education and potential for success in graduate studies. (Submitted electronically by referee)
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Personal statement
- Current résumé
- Artistic portfolio submitted digitally
International15280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 955 USD per credit during 24 months.
National15280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 955 USD per credit during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.