You will explore the operational command structure and campaign planning in relation to the evolution of tactical command and control at the various levels of the war. Special emphasis in this online program is placed on the analysis and synthesis of historical interpretations as presented in the writings of prominent and influential historians.
At the American Public University System we offer a master degree in Civil War Studies. Many university faculty members teaching our courses are published historians or military leaders who bring unique perspectives and relevant research into the classroom. You’ll also connect and interact online with other students who share your enthusiasm for history.
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of the Civil War Studies program at American Public University program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Place events of the antebellum period, the Civil War, and Reconstruction into the broader scope of American history by assessing the similarities and differences in social, cultural, economic, and political developments in the north and south.
- Discern and assess the political, economic, cultural, social, and military aspects of the Civil War to specifically include their impact on causative factors, conduct of the war, and post-war aftermath.
- Examine the operational contributions of Union and Confederate military leaders by critiquing selected land battles of the war as examples of the strategies and tactics involved.
- Compare and contrast the national, theater, and operational command structures of the Union and Confederacy in relation to leadership styles of key military leaders on both sides and the evolution of command and control during the war.
- Identify, assess, and explain the diverse historical assessments and interpretations of the Antebellum, Civil War, and Reconstruction eras as presented in the writings of prominent and influential historians.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Civil War: Seminal Event in American History
- Antebellum America: Prelude to the Civil War
- Reconstruction and Post-Civil War America
- Studies in U.S Military History
- Civil War Strategy and Tactics
- Civil War Command and Leadership
- 2 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Courses Start Monthly
DisciplinesMilitary Science Political Science Terrorism & Security View 67 other Masters in Terrorism & Security in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All APU graduate programs require you to have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an institution whose accreditation is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- If you have a non-U.S. transcript, please view our International Admissions page for more information.
- There is no fee to complete the APU admission application.
International370 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 370 USD per credit and a duration of 2 months.
National370 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 370 USD per credit and a duration of 2 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.