To satisfy your interests in the Antebellum South, Civil War years, and Reconstruction, enroll in the Civil War Studies Postgrad. Cert. at the American Public University.
This comprehensive six-course Civil War certificate covers the social, cultural, economic, and political developments in the North and South during the Civil War era. The program also studies military strategy, the operational command structure, and the evolution of tactical command and control in the years leading up to and following the war. Additionally, you will explore slavery, sectionalism, and presidential decision making and leadership.
This program challenges you to analyze and synthesize historical interpretations presented in the writings of prominent and influential historians.
What You Will Do
- Assess social, cultural, economic, and political similarities and differences in the North and South during Antebellum, Civil War, and Reconstruction periods
- Determine the political, economic, cultural, social, and military matters that caused the Civil War and impacted its conduct and aftermath
- Critique select land battles to show the operational contributions of Union and Confederate military leaders and their strategies and tactics
- Analyze the writings of prominent historians and their diverse interpretations of the Antebellum, Civil War, and Reconstruction eras
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Civil War: Seminal Event in American History
- Antebellum America: Prelude to the Civil War
- Reconstruction and Post-Civil War America
- Studies in U.S Military History
- Civil War Strategy and Tactics
- Civil War Command and Leadership
- 2 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Courses Start Monthly
DisciplinesMilitary Science Modern History Political Science View 13 other Masters in Modern History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All APU graduate programs require you to have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an institution whose accreditation is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- If you have a non-U.S. transcript, please view the International Admissions page for more information.
- Please read all graduate admission requirements before applying to this program and be prepared to submit the required documentation.
- There is no fee to complete the APU admission application.
International370 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 370 USD per credit during 2 months.
National370 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 370 USD per credit during 2 months.
250 with military grant
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.