The MSc in Applied Marine Geoscience course from Bangor University provides a sound scientific basis on which to decide how best to design and execute marine surveys, be they geophysical, sedimentological or geological, for the required purpose.
The MSc in Applied Marine Geoscience evolved from its predecessor, the Marine Geotechnics course which boasted a 30 year pedigree.
A series of modules have been designed to explain the processes that form and characterise a wide variety of sedimentary environments, from the littoral zone to the deep ocean. Those controls range from the dynamical, chemical, climatic to geological; all are inter-related.
The student also gains knowledge and understanding of survey techniques in order to map these environments and thereby gain a better understanding of the processes that shape them.
The final facet of the course involves an explanation of how these sedimentary materials react to imposed loads - how they behave geotechnically.
From past experience it is found that students on completion of the course will find employment in the offshore hydrocarbons industry, geophysical contract companies (both offshore and terrestrial), geotechnical engineering companies, river and harbour boards or government establishments. The course may also lead students to further academic research studies.
Careers and Employability
Over the last 8 years, 78% of students have found geo-related employment and 18% have gone on to study for a PhD. Typically, graduates have taken up the following career paths:
- Onshore or offshore site investigation contract or consultancy companies.
- Government research agencies, e.g. BGS.
- Higher Education and Research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Key Concepts and Techniques
- Practical Oceanography-AMG
- Geophysical Surveying
- Literature Review-Project Plan
- Sediment Geotechnics
- Research Project /Dissertation
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
The University will accept applications throughout the year, but we would generally advise that you send in your application form by the end of June.
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geology View 53 other Masters in Earth Sciences in United Kingdom
- Successful applicants normally hold, or expect to obtain, a 2(ii) undergraduate Honours degree in a physical, geophysical, engineering or other numerate subject area.
- Applicants from other science (BSc) subject areas (e.g. geography, geology, environmental science, marine science, or archaeology) or with relevant employment experience are encouraged to apply, provided that they can demonstrate high levels of motivation and experience in their Personal Statement and CV.
International17500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8650 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8650 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.