About the certificate in Spanish Heritage Language Education at George Mason University
Students develop familiarity with the linguistic, sociolinguistic, and cultural characteristics of Spanish-speakers in the US. The SHLE certificate prepares educators and affiliated professionals to advocate for heritage speakers of Spanish, design and implement Spanish for Heritage Speakers (SHL) curricula, and develop teaching materials and pedagogies for use in both SHL and mixed classes.
The SHLE certificate may be taken alone or in conjunction with several degree programs offered by the Department of Modern & Classical Languages and the College of Education and Human Development. All coursework included in the SHLE certificate may be applied toward the MA in Spanish; Spanish/Bilingual and Multicultural Education; or Spanish and French.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Heritage Language Education
- Teaching Spanish for Social Justice
- Critical Approaches to Teaching Spanish-language Culture
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Applications for Fall will be accepted until June 1, . Applications received by January 15, will be considered for GTA/GRA positions.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 807 other Masters in Languages in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The goals statement should be from 500 to 700 words and describe the applicant's research interests.
- The GRE will be waived due to ongoing issues related to the pandemic though applicants are welcome to submit scores if you think they will strengthen your application.
- The writing sample should be academic such as a master's thesis, senior undergraduate thesis, a full-length research paper, a scholarly essay, or another sample of at least 20 pages that reflects the quality of the applicant's scholarship.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21465 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1431 USD per credit
National21465 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1431 USD per credit
In-State8145 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 543 USD per credit
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.