Program Learning Outcomes - Clinical Mental Health Counseling MSc program at San José State University
- Demonstrate breadth of knowledge of a variety of psychotherapy theories and in-depth knowledge of one chosen theory of intervention.
- Demonstrate knowledge of empirically supported clinical interventions and evidence ability to select treatments for individual clients given this literature.
- Demonstrate effective integration and communication of clinical case material.
- Demonstrate the ability to synthesize contextual and cultural variables into presentations of client materials.
- Effectively respond to queries about clinical material and engage in discussions about their clients with supervisors and peers.
- Think and discuss cases other than their own, applying theories, principles, and relevant empirical findings to those cases.
- Demonstrate understanding of different assessment devices and strategies for assessing client outcome over the course of treatment including standardized nomothetic and idiographic approaches.
- Demonstrate depth and breadth of understanding in areas including, but not limited to, psychotherapy theory, service delivery, ethics, assessment, research methods, family therapy, cultural diversity, psychopharmacology, and issues relevant to adult and child clinical populations. Students will be able to apply this knowledge to clinical cases.
- Demonstrate fulfillment of coursework and other pre-degree licensing requirements outlined by the Board of Behavioral Sciences.
- Clinical Assessment
- Family Assessment and Intervention
- Psychology of Contemporary Families
- Advanced Psychopathology
- Child Psychopathology
- Lifespan Development
- Gender and Ethnic Issues in Counseling and Therapy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Clinical Psychology Counselling Psychology View 1324 other Masters in Psychology in United States
- Have a baccalaureate degree (BA or BS) in Psychology OR any baccalaureate degree (BA or BS) and a minimum of 30 semester units (45 quarter units) in Psychology.
- Have taken the REQUIRED six courses in psychology from the list provided below. These are to be included in the minimum 30 semester units (10 semester courses).
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in all Psychology coursework AND a minimum of 3.0 the last 2 years of academic work attempted.
- Provide evidence of a minimum of 100 hours of paid or volunteer applied clinical experience working with persons in a counseling/helping capacity (e.g., volunteer in home for children with developmental, emotional, and/or behavioral disorders, provide counseling on a suicide and crisis telephone hotline).
- Provide three letters of recommendation. One reference MUST be from a clinical supervisor and another MUST come from a professor or instructor who can comment on the applicant’s academic work.
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 24 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 24 months.
- Non-resident students pay basic registration fees plus $396 per unit.
Living costs for San Jose
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.