About Acting at The University of Iowa
The training immerses students in a variety of acting techniques, extensive movement and voice training, theatrical analysis, and digital media to produce an unusually responsive, emotionally available, and hyper-present artist, equipped to meet the creative and technical demands of the twenty-first century.
The University of Iowa Department of Theatre Arts is one of the oldest and most respected theatre programs in the country. We offer students the opportunity to earn an undergraduate BA degree or an MFA degree with an emphasis in acting, directing, design, playwriting, dramaturgy, or stage management.
Each year the department presents 20 to 25 productions, ranging from classic to contemporary, with many new works developed and presented by student playwrights, directors, or visiting artists. There are also more than 25 readings of new plays in the Iowa Playwrights Workshop. Every spring, the Iowa New Play Festival debuts four new plays – all featuring our actors.
- Digital Media
- Graphic Design and Identity
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Liberal Arts Theatre & Dance View 816 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
- 6 semesters in residence (internships may be substituted with the permission of the program faculty and the Director of Graduate Studies);
- A minimum of 61 semester hours, but requirements for specific programs may be higher. Accordingly, each student must complete the requisite number of graduate hours stipulated by their Plan of Study;
- All requirements of the Graduate College;
- G.P.A requirements of both the Graduate College and the Department as specified below.
- Creative or scholarly work of high quality according to program requirements;
- A comprehensive examination;
- A written thesis.
International31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 36 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.